[Gluster-devel] Removing glupy from release 5.7

Kaleb Keithley kkeithle at redhat.com
Thu Jun 13 04:35:56 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM Deepshikha Khandelwal <dkhandel at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:41 AM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:36 AM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> EPEL updated from python34 to python36 recently, but C7 doesn't have
>>> python3 in the base. I don't think we've ever used EPEL packages for
>>> building.
>>>
>>> And GlusterFS-5 isn't python3 ready.
>>>

>> Correction: GlusterFS-5 is mostly or completely python3 ready.  FWIW,
>> python33 is available on both RHEL7 and CentOS7 from the Software
>> Collection Library (SCL), and python34 and now python36 are available from
>> EPEL.
>>
>> But packages built for the CentOS Storage SIG have never used the SCL or
>> EPEL (EPEL not allowed) and the shebangs in the .py files are converted
>> from /usr/bin/python3 to /usr/bin/python2 during the rpmbuild %prep stage.
>> All the python dependencies for the packages remain the python2 flavors.
>> AFAIK the centos-regression machines ought to be building the same way.
>>

> centos-regression machines have 'CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)' and
> using python3.6. Looking at the tracebacks when compiling we confirmed that
> it is picking up python3.6 somehow.

We need to figure out why? BTW, my CentOS 7 box is up to date and does not
have any version of python3. I would have to use the SCL or EPEL to get it.

What changed on June 5th?  Between
https://build.gluster.org/job/centos7-regression/6309/consoleFull and
https://build.gluster.org/job/centos7-regression/6310/consoleFull?

6309 was the last centos-regression with python2.7.  6310 and all
subsequent centos-regressions have been built with python3.6.

Somebody added EPEL!  Do we not have a record of the changes made and who
made them?

And BTW, this affects more than just glusterfs-5, it's affecting all
versions: glusterfs-4.1, glusterfs-5, glusterfs-6, and master.

> To resolve this issue either we can remove glupy from the release(which is
> dead anyways) or install glupy on the instances.

Or you can resolve where python36 came from and undo the change that
introduced it.

At the risk of being repetitious – reiterating what Niels said – it's
highly unusual to remove features in a bug fix update.

It's also unusual to have switched to python3 on rhel7 like this. Was there
any discussion of such a change? If there was I seem to have missed it.

I suggest figuring out where python3.6 on rhel7 came from. Fix that first.
Removing glupy is a bandaid over a unrelated problem. Once the real problem
is fixed then there can be a separate discussion about removing the glupy
feature in glusterfs-5.

--

Kaleb