[Gluster-devel] Removing glupy from release 5.7

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Wed Jul 3 14:46:11 UTC 2019

Le mercredi 03 juillet 2019 à 20:03 +0530, Deepshikha Khandelwal a
écrit :
> Misc, is EPEL got recently installed on the builders?

No, it has been there since september 2016. What got changed is that
python3 wasn't installed before.

> Can you please resolve the 'Why EPEL on builders?'. EPEL+python3 on
> builders seems not a good option to have.

Python 3 is pulled by 'mock', cf
https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2019-June/056347.html

So sure, I can remove EPEL, but then it will remove mock. Or I can
remove python3, and it will remove mock.

But again, the problem is not with the set of installed packages on the
builder, that's just showing there is a bug.

The configure script do pick the latest python version:
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/configure.ac#L612

if there is a python3, it take that, if not, it fall back to python2.

then, later:
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/configure.ac#L639

it verify the presence of what is required to build.

So if there is a runtime version only of python3, it will detect
python3, but not build anything, because the -devel subpackage is not h
ere.

There is 2 solutions:
- fix that piece of code, so it doesn't just test the presence of
python executable, but do that, and test the presence of headers before
deciding if we need to build or not glupy.

- use PYTHON env var to force python2, and document that it need to be
done.