[Gluster-devel] Meeting minutes: Feb 04th, 2019

Amar Tumballi Suryanarayan atumball at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 08:47:38 UTC 2019

BJ Link

   - Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/217609845
   - Watch: https://bluejeans.com/s/37SS6/

<https://hackmd.io/yTC-un5XT6KUB9V37LG6OQ?both#Attendance>Attendance

   - Nigel Babu
   - Sunil Heggodu
   - Amar Tumballi
   - Aravinda VK
   - Atin Mukherjee

<https://hackmd.io/yTC-un5XT6KUB9V37LG6OQ?both#Agenda>Agenda

   -

   Gluster Performance Runs (on Master):
   - Some regression since 3.12 compared to current master.
      - Few operations had major regresions.
      - Entry serialization (SDFS) feature caused regression. We have
      disable it by default, plan to ask users to turn it on for edge cases.
      - Some patches are currently being reviewed for perf improvements
      which are not enabled by default.
      - See Xavi’s email for perf improvements
      <https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2019-January/055807.html>
in
      self-heal. This can cause some regression on sequential IO.
      - [Nigel]Can we publish posts on 3.12 perf and our machine specs.
      Then we can do a follow up post after 6 release.
      - Yes. This is a release highlight that we want to talk about.
   -

   GlusterFS 6.0 branching:
   - upgrade tests, specially with some removed volume types and options.
         - [Atin] I’ve started testing some of the upgrade tests
         (glusterfs-5 to latest master), have some observations around
some of the
         tiering related options which are leading to peer rejection issue post
         upgrade, we need changes to avoid the peer rejection
failures. GlusterD
         team will focus on this testing in coming days.
      - performance patches - Discussed earlier
      - shd-mux
         - [Atin] Shyam highlighted concern in accepting this big change
         such late and near to branching timelines, so most likely not
going to make
         into 6.0.
         - A risk because of the timeline. We will currently keep testing
         it on master and once stable we could do an exception to merge it to
         release-6
         - The changes are glusterd heavy, so we want to make sure it’s
         thoroughly tested so we don’t cause regressions.
      -

   GCS - v1.0
   - Can we announce it, yet?
         - [Atin] Hit a blocker issue in GD2,
         https://github.com/gluster/gcs/issues/129 , root cause is in
         progress. Testing of https://github.com/gluster/gcs/pull/130 is
         blocked because of this. We are still postive to nail this
down by tomorrow
         and call out GCS 1.0 by tomorrow.
      - GCS has a website now - https://gluster.github.io/gcs/Contribute by
      sending patches to the gh-pages branch on github.com/gluster/gcs repo.
      - What does it take to run the containers from Gluster (CSI/GD2 etc)
      on ARM architecture host machines?
         - It should theoretically work given Gluster has been known to
         work on ARM. And we know that k8s on ARM is something that people do.
         - Might be useful to kick it off on a Raspberry pi and see what
         breaks.
      -

   We need more content on website, and in general on internet. How to
   motivate developers to write blogs?
   - New theme is proposed for upstream documentation via the pull request
      https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/pull/454
      - Test website: https://my-doc-sunil.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
   -

   Round Table:
   - Nigel: AWS migration will happen this week and regressions will be a
      little flakey. Please bear with us.

--
Amar Tumballi (amarts)