[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Proposal: move glusterfs development to github workflow, completely

Amar Tumballi amarts at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 04:23:23 UTC 2019

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 4:33 PM Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Amar Tumballi <amarts at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi developers,
> >
> > With this email, I want to understand what is the general feeling around
> this topic.
> >
> > We from gluster org (in github.com/gluster) have many projects which
> follow complete github workflow, where as there are few, specially the main
> one 'glusterfs', which uses 'Gerrit'.
> >
> > While this has worked all these years, currently, there is a huge set of
> brain-share on github workflow as many other top projects, and similar
> projects use only github as the place to develop, track and run tests etc.
> As it is possible to have all of the tools required for this project in
> github itself (code, PR, issues, CI/CD, docs), lets look at how we are
> structured today:
> >
> > Gerrit - glusterfs code + Review system
> > Bugzilla - For bugs
> > Github - For feature requests
> > Trello - (not very much used) for tracking project development.
> > CI/CD - CentOS-ci / Jenkins, etc but maintained from different repo.
> > Docs - glusterdocs - different repo.
> > Metrics - Nothing (other than github itself tracking contributors).
> >
> > While it may cause a minor glitch for many long time developers who are
> used to the flow, moving to github would bring all these in single place,
> makes getting new users easy, and uniform development practices for all
> gluster org repositories.
> >
> > As it is just the proposal, I would like to hear people's thought on
> this, and conclude on this another month, so by glusterfs-8 development
> time, we are clear about this.
> >

> I'd want to propose that a decision be arrived at much earlier. Say,
> within a fortnight ie. mid-Sep. I do not see why this would need a
> whole month to consider. Such a timeline would also allow to manage
> changes after proper assessment of sub-tasks.

It would be great if we can decide sooner. I kept a month as timeline, as
historically, I had not seen much responses to proposal like this. Would be
great if we have at least 20+ people participating in this discussion.

I am happy to create a poll if everyone prefers that.

Regards,
Amar