[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Important: Debian and Ubuntu packages are changing

Kaleb Keithley kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Aug 9 13:50:59 UTC 2019

*On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 4:56 PM Ingo Fischer <ingo at fischer-ka.de> wrote:

> Hi Kaleb,
>
> I'm currently experiencing this issue while trying to upgrade my Proxmox
> servers where gluster is installed too.
>
> Thank you for the official information for the community, but what
> exactly do this mean?
>
> Will upgrades from 5.8 to 5.9 work or what exactly needs to be done in
> order to get the update done?

I expect they will work as well as updating from, e.g., gluster's old style
glusterfs_5.4 debs to debian's new style glusterfs_5.5 debs.  IOW probably
not very well. My guess is that you will probably need to uninstall 5.8
followed by installing 5.9.

Here at Red Hat, as one might guess, we don't use a lot of Debian or
Ubuntu. My experience with Debian and Ubuntu has been limited to building
the packages. (FWIW, in a previous job I used SLES and OpenSuSE, and before
that I used Slackware.)

These are "community" packages and they're free. I personally do feel like
the community really should shoulder some of the burden to test them and
report any problems. Give them a try. Let us know what does or doesn't
work. And send PRs.

Debian Stretch is not affected?

TL;DNR: if it was, I would have said so. ;-)

The Debian packager didn't change the packaging on stretch or bionic and
xenial. The gluster community packages for those distributions are the same
as they've always been.