[Gluster-devel] Python3 build process

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 13:38:41 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 09:14:15AM -0400, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> On 09/28/2018 09:11 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:

> >> Here is how I summarize this proposal,
> >> - Perform the shebang "correction" for py2 in the post install
> >>   - Keeps the git clone clean
> >> - shebang correction occurs based on a configure time option
> >>   - It is not implicit but an explicit choice to correct the shebangs to
> >> py2, hence we need an option either way
> >> - The configure option would be "--enable-python2"
> >>   - Developers that need py2, can configure it as such
> >>   - Regression jobs that need py2, either because of the platform they
> >> test against, or for py2 compliance in the future, use the said option
> >>   - Package builds are agnostic to these changes (currently) as they
> >> decide at build time based on the platform what needs to be done.
> >
> > I do not think such a ./configure option is needed. configure.ac can
> > find out the version that is available, and pick python3 if it has both.
> >
> > Tests should just run with "$PYTHON run-the-test.py" instead of
> > ./run-the-test.py with a #!/usr/bin/python shebang. The testing
> > framework can also find out what version of python is available.
>
> If we back up a bit here, if all shebangs are cleared, then we do not
> need anything. That is not the situation at the moment, and neither do I
> know if that state can be reached.

Not all shebangs need to go away, only the ones for the test-cases. A
post-install hook can modify the shebangs from python3 to python2
depending on what ./configure detected.

> We also need to ensure we work against py2 and py3 for the near future,
> which entails being specific in some regression job at least on the
> python choice, does that correct the shebangs really depends on the
> above conclusion.

Ok, so if both python2 and python3 are available, and you want to run
with python2, just run "python2 my-py2-test.py"?

Niels