[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Release 5: Missing option documentation (need inputs)

Raghavendra Gowdappa rgowdapp at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 01:57:21 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 8:30 PM Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com>
wrote:

> The following options were added post 4.1 and are part of 5.0 as the
> first release for the same. They were added in as part of bugs, and
> hence looking at github issues to track them as enhancements did not
> catch the same.
>
> We need to document it in the release notes (and also the gluster doc.
> site ideally), and hence I would like a some details on what to write
> for the same (or release notes commits) for them.
>
> Option: cluster.daemon-log-level
> Attention: @atin
> Review: https://review.gluster.org/c/glusterfs/+/20442
>
> Option: ctime-invalidation
> Attention: @Du
> Review: https://review.gluster.org/c/glusterfs/+/20286

Quick-read by default uses mtime to identify changes to file data. However
there are applications like rsync which explicitly set mtime making it
unreliable for the purpose of identifying change in file content. Since
ctime also changes when content of a file changes and it cannot be set
explicitly, it becomes suitable for identifying staleness of cached data.
This option makes quick-read to prefer ctime over mtime to validate its
cache. However, using ctime can result in false positives as ctime changes
with just attribute changes like permission without changes to file data.
So, use this option only when mtime is not reliable.