[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Release 4.1: LTM release targeted for end of May

Aravinda avishwan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 16:05:54 UTC 2018

On 03/14/2018 05:38 PM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> On 03/14/2018 02:40 AM, Aravinda wrote:
>> I have following suggestion for managing release notes. Let me know
>> if this can be included in automation document.
> Aravinda, I assume this is an additional suggestion, orthogonal to the
> current discussion around spec and docs, right?
Yes. Sorry about that.

>> If a Github issue used in Commit message as "Fixes: #<id>" then Smoke
>> test should fail if patch does not contain `$SRC/release-notes/<issue>.md`
>> (if `$SRC/release-notes/<issue>.md` not already exists in codebase)
>>
>> On branching, delete all these release-notes from Master branch and start
>> fresh. Release branch now contains these notes for all the features
>> went in after the last release. Release manager's job is to merge all
>> these release notes into single release notes document.
>>
>> We can restrict on the format of release-note as,
>>
>>      First Line is Title
>>      Tags: component-name, keywords etc
>>      --
>>      Description about the feature, example, links etc
>>
>> If all patches are submitted with `Updates` instead of `Fixes`, then
>> Issue can't be closed without submitting patch with release-note.
> Most of the above is fine and we can thrash out specifics, but...
>
> I am thinking differently, if spec and doc are provided writing a short
> 1-5 line summary in the release notes is not a problem.

I think developer who developed the feature is the best person to write
the release notes. Release notes are easy to write while developing the
feature or just after finishing the feature. Once developer starts working
on other features/bug fixes it is very difficult to get interest in writing
release-note for an already merged feature.

I think extracting summary from the documentation is also difficult, if the
release maintainer not aware of all the features then it will be more
time-consuming to write summary.

--
regards
Aravinda VK