[Gluster-devel] Announcing Softserve- serve yourself a VM

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 07:07:46 UTC 2018

> We’ve enabled certain limits for this application:
>>
>>    1.
>>
>>    Maximum allowance of 5 VM at a time across all the users. User have
>>    to wait until a slot is available for them after 5 machines allocation.
>>    2.
>>
>>    User will get the requesting machines maximum upto 4 hours.
>>

> IMHO ,max cap of 4 hours is not sufficient. Most of the times, the reason
> of loaning a machine is basically debug a race where we can't reproduce the
> failure locally what I have seen debugging such tests might take more than
> 4 hours. Imagine you had done some tweaking to the code and you're so close
> to understand the problem and then the machine expires, it's definitely not
> a happy feeling. What are the operational challenges if we have to make it
> for atleast 8 hours or max a day?

The 4h cap was kept so that multiple people could have a chance to debug
their test failures on the same day. Pushing the cap to 8h means that if
you don't have a machine to loan when you start work one will not be
available until the next day. At this point, we'll not be increasing the
timeout. So far, we've had one person actually hit this. I'd like to see
more data points before we make an application level change.

--
nigelb