[Gluster-devel] FreeBSD smoke test may fail for older changes, rebase needed

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 06:12:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 02:44:57PM -0400, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> On 07/28/2018 12:45 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 03:37:46PM +0200, Niels de Vos wrote:
> >> This Friday argp-standalone got installed on the FreeBSD Jenkins
> >> slave(s). With the library available, we can now drop the bundled and
> >> unmaintained contrib/argp-standlone/ from our glusterfs sources.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately building on FreeBSD fails if the header/library is
> >> installed. This has been corrected with https://review.gluster.org/20581
> >> but that means changes posted in Gerrit may need a rebase to include the
> >> fix for building on FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> I think I have rebased all related changes that did not have negative
> >> comments asking for corrections/improvement. In case I missed a change,
> >> please rebase your patch so the smoke test runs again.
> >>
> >> Sorry for any inconvenience that this caused,
> >> Niels
> >
> > It just occured to me that the argp-standalone installation also affects
> > the release-4.1 and release-3.12 branches. Jiffin, Shyam, do you want to
> > cherry-pick https://review.gluster.org/20581 to fix that, or do you
> > prefer an alternative that always uses the bundled version of the
> > library?
>
> The outcome is to get existing maintained release branches building and
> working on FreeBSD, would that be correct?

'working' in the way that they were earlier. I do not know of any
(automated or manual) tests that verify the correct functioning. It is
build tested only. I think.

> If so I think we can use the cherry-picked version, the changes seem
> mostly straight forward, and it is possibly easier to maintain.

It is straight forward, but does add a new requirement on a library that
should get installed on the system. This is not something that we
normally allow during a stable release.

> Although, I have to ask, what is the downside of not taking it in at
> all? If it is just FreeBSD, then can we live with the same till release-
> is out?

Yes, it is 'just' FreeBSD build testing. Users should still be able to
build the stable releases on FreeBSD as long as they do not install
argp-standalone. In that case the bundled version will be used as the
stable releases still have that in their tree.

If the patch does not get merged, it will cause the smoke tests on
FreeBSD to fail. As Nigel mentions, it is possible to disable this test
for the stable branches.

An alternative would be to fix the build process, and optionally use the
bundled library in case it is not installed on the system. This is what
we normally would have done, but it seems to have been broken in the
case of FreeBSD + argp-standalone.

Niels