[Gluster-devel] FreeBSD smoke test may fail for older changes, rebase needed

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 18:44:57 UTC 2018

On 07/28/2018 12:45 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 03:37:46PM +0200, Niels de Vos wrote:
>> This Friday argp-standalone got installed on the FreeBSD Jenkins
>> slave(s). With the library available, we can now drop the bundled and
>> unmaintained contrib/argp-standlone/ from our glusterfs sources.
>>
>> Unfortunately building on FreeBSD fails if the header/library is
>> installed. This has been corrected with https://review.gluster.org/20581
>> but that means changes posted in Gerrit may need a rebase to include the
>> fix for building on FreeBSD.
>>
>> I think I have rebased all related changes that did not have negative
>> comments asking for corrections/improvement. In case I missed a change,
>> please rebase your patch so the smoke test runs again.
>>
>> Sorry for any inconvenience that this caused,
>> Niels
>
> It just occured to me that the argp-standalone installation also affects
> the release-4.1 and release-3.12 branches. Jiffin, Shyam, do you want to
> cherry-pick https://review.gluster.org/20581 to fix that, or do you
> prefer an alternative that always uses the bundled version of the
> library?

The outcome is to get existing maintained release branches building and
working on FreeBSD, would that be correct?

If so I think we can use the cherry-picked version, the changes seem
mostly straight forward, and it is possibly easier to maintain.

Although, I have to ask, what is the downside of not taking it in at
all? If it is just FreeBSD, then can we live with the same till release-
is out?

Finally, thanks for checking as the patch is not a simple bug-fix backport.