[Gluster-devel] Regression tests time

Jeff Darcy jeff at pl.atyp.us
Thu Jan 25 14:03:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018, at 9:37 AM, Xavi Hernandez wrote:
> That happens when we use arbitrary delays. If we use an explicit
> check, it will work on all systems.
You're arguing against a position not taken. I'm not expressing
opposition to explicit checks. I'm just saying they don't come for free.
If you don't believe me, try adding explicit checks in some of the
harder cases where we're waiting for something that's subject to OS
scheduling delays, or for large numbers of operations to complete. Geo-
replication or multiplexing tests should provide some good examples.
Adding explicit conditions is the right thing to do in the abstract, but
as a practical matter the returns must justify the cost.
BTW, some of our longest-running tests are in EC. Do we need all of
those, and do they all need to run as long, or could some be
eliminated/shortened?
> I agree that parallelizing tests is the way to go, but if we reduce
> the total time to 50%, the parallelized tests will also take 50% less
> of the time.
Taking 50% less time but failing spuriously 1% of the time, or all of
the time in some environments, is not a good thing. If you want to add
explicit checks that's great, but you also mentioned shortening timeouts
and that's much more risky.