[Gluster-devel] Simulating some kind of "virtual file"

Xavi Hernandez jahernan at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 09:50:58 UTC 2018

Hi David,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 3:24 PM, David Spisla <david.spisla at iternity.com>
wrote:

> Hello Amar, Xavi

initial one will only contain a path. You need to look at the answer (in
the cbk of lookup) to determine the gfid.

> * Another problem seems to be that there is no loc parameter in lookup_cbk
> function. **I have the buf->gfid and inode, but there is no loc with the
> path and name oft he file.*
>
> In this case, you need to save the path (or the entire loc if you prefer)
when you receive the lookup request and pass it to the cbk to be used
there. To do so you need to create a data structure that needs to be
allocated and filled when the lookup request is received. Then you can pass
this structure to the cbk in two ways (basically):

1. Attach it to frame->local. You can access it later from cbk using
frame->local.

2. Pass it as a "cookie" in STACK_WIND_COOKIE(). You can access it from cbk
using the 'cookie' argument.

> *I want to use syncop_getxattr but I have no loc as parameter. Can I get a
> loc struct with the gfid?*
>
> You can manually construct a loc using the inode, gfid and path
information you have. However it's not a good idea to do so from a lookup
request. Inodes are not fully initialized until they reach the highest
xlator (this means FUSE/NFS/gfapi for clients, and protocol/server for
servers). Trying to use a partially initialized inode in a request may
cause troubles on other xlators.

If you only need to request some xattrs, the good way to do it is making
use of the 'xdata' argument of the lookup request.

You can add the xattrs you need using:

dict_set_uint32(xdata, "<xattr name>", 0);

The value is not important here. The data type (uint32) is not critical (in
theory any could work, at least for now), but you should use the same data
type that you expect to receive to be more consistent.

This way, on the 'xdata' argument of the lookup cbk, you will receive the
value of that xattr. You can read it using:

dict_get_<data type>(xdata, "<xattr name>", &value);

In 'value' you will get the current value of the requested xattr (if it
exists).

Xavi