[Gluster-devel] Reboot for Meltdown and stuff

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 5 13:24:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

unless you are living in a place without any internet (a igloo in
Antartica, the middle of the Gobi desert, a bunker in Switzerland or
simply the Paris underground train), you may have seen the news that
this week is again a security nightmare (also called "just a normal
Wednesday" among practitioners ), and that we have important kernel
patch to push, that do requiers a reboot.

See https://spectreattack.com/

While I suspect our infra will not be targeted and there is more venue
to attack on local computers and browsers who are the one running
proprietary random code in form of JS on a regular basis, we still have
to upgrade everything to be sure.

Therefor, I am gonna have to reboot all the infra (yes, the 83
servers), minus the few servers I already did reboot (because in HA, or
not customer facing) tomorrow.

I will block jenkins, and wait for the jobs to be finished before
rebooting the various servers. I will send a email tomorrow once the
reboot start (e.g., when/if I wake up), and another one things are good
(or if stuff broke in a horrible fashion too, as it happened today).

If there is some precaution or anything to take, people have around 24h
to voice their concerns.

Also, please make sure to upgrade your computer, and turn 2FA for
github.
--
Michael Scherer