[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] 2018 - Plans and Expectations on Gluster Community

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Tue Jan 2 09:57:24 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 2:36 PM, Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz at hetz.biz> wrote:

> Hi Amar,
>
> If can say something about the development of GlusterFS - is that there
> are 2 missing things:
>
> 1. Breakage between releases. I'm "stuck" using GlusterFS 3.8 because
> someone support to enable NFS-Ganesha. from the gluster command has been
> vanished without anything mentioned in the error message what other
> commands replaces it. Judging from other people's answers - the answer is
> storhaug does it from now, but there are practically *0 Documentation* how
> to use it.

Sorry about your experience regarding upgrade. We have taken upgrade as a
major priority for release team, and hence are actually calling 4.1 as the
first release of 4.x series saner to upgrade, where as 4.0 release would be
good for anyone starting new, and want to test in a new setup.

We will make sure that the documentation focus will cover migration section
properly.

> 2. There's a new tool in glusterFS to enable automation called gdep[oy,
> but again, the documentation for it is pretty short, there isn't for
> example a config for 2 node replication cluster with NFS-Ganesha, one of
> the most popular configuration for testing so a person could help from this
> example how things do work.

Yes, When I spoke of Focus on Integrations, this was on our head. We want
to make sure we have peripheral projects to deal with managing filesystem.
gDeploy is one of that.

Actually, to make things more ansible friendly, we also started
https://github.com/gluster/gluster-ansible too. Which can be used as per
the need. We will most probably move towards documenting steps using these
projects in the use case specific documentation.

3. The commercial product (RHGS) is "stuck" in the 3.3 days, is there any
> chance it will move forward to any of the last stable versions?

This is more of a question for Red Hat Product / Support team. I am sure
Red Hat's product version is not direct map to glusterfs version.

Regards,
Amar

Amar Tumballi (amarts)