[Gluster-devel] GlusterD2 - 4.0.0rc1 (warning: we have a blocker for GD2)

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:49:42 UTC 2018

We have a GlusterD2-4.0.0rc1 release.

Aravinda, Prashanth and the rest of the GD2 developers have been
working hard on getting more stuff merged into GD2 before the 4.0
release.

At the same time I have been working on getting GD2 packaged for Fedora.
I've been able to get all the required dependencies updated and have
submitted to the package maintainer for merging.
I'm now waiting on the maintainer to accept those updates. Once the
updates have been accepted, the GD2 spec can get accepted [2].
I expect this to take at least another week on the whole.

In the meantime, I've been building all the updated dependencies and
glusterd2-v4.0.0rc1, on the GD2 copr [3].

I tried to test out the GD2 package with the GlusterFS v4.0.0rc1
release from [4]. And this is where I hit the blocker.

GD2 does not start with the packaged glusterfs-v4.0.0rc1 bits. I've
opened an issue on the GD2 issue tracker for it [5].
In short, GD2 fails to read options from xlators, as dlopen fails with
a missing symbol error.

```
FATA[2018-02-28 15:02:53.345686] Failed to load xlator options
        error="dlopen(/usr/lib64/glusterfs/4.0.0rc1/xlator/protocol/server.so)
failed; dlerror =
/usr/lib64/glusterfs/4.0.0rc1/xlator/protocol/server.so: undefined
symbol: glusterfs_mgmt_pmap_signout" source="[main.go:79:main.main]"

```

My preliminary investigation points to the problem being in the
glusterfs packages.
An externally built GD2 binary that works against a source install of
glusterfs-v4.0.0rc1, fails with the same error with the packaged
install.
I'll continue investigating and try to find the cause. Any help with
this is appreciated.

~kaushal

[1]: https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/releases/tag/v4.0.0rc1
[2]: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1540553