[Gluster-devel] Release 4.0: Release notes (please read and contribute)

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri Feb 2 15:26:11 UTC 2018

On 02/01/2018 11:02 PM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> On 01/29/2018 05:10 PM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have posted an initial draft version of the release notes here [1].
>>
>> I would like to *suggest* the following contributors to help improve and
>> finish the release notes by 06th Feb, 2017. As you read this mail, if
>> you feel you cannot contribute, do let us know, so that we can find the
>> appropriate contributors for the same.
> Reminder (1)
>
> Request a response if you would be able to provide the release notes.
> Release notes itself can come in later.
>
> Helps plan for contingency in case you are unable to generate the
> required notes.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> NOTE: Please use the release tracker to post patches that modify the
>> release notes, the bug ID is *1539842* (see [2]).
>>
>> 1) Aravinda/Kotresh: Geo-replication section in the release notes
>>
>> 2) Kaushal/Aravinda/ppai: GD2 section in the release notes
>>
>> 3) Du/Poornima/Pranith: Performance section in the release notes
>>
>> 4) Amar: monitoring section in the release notes
>>
>> Following are individual call outs for certain features:
>>
>> 1) "Ability to force permissions while creating files/directories on a
>> volume" - Niels
>>
>> 2) "Replace MD5 usage to enable FIPS support" - Ravi, Amar

+ Kotresh who has done most (all to be precise) of the patches listed in
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/230 in case he would like to
add anything.

There is a pending work for this w.r.t rolling upgrade support.  I hope
to work on this next week, but I cannot commit anything looking at other
things in my queue :(.
To add more clarity, for fresh setup (clients + servers) in 4.0,
enabling FIPS works fine. But we need to handle case of old servers and
new clients and vice versa. If this can be considered a bug fix, then
here is my attempt at the release notes for this fix:

"Previously, if gluster was run on a FIPS enabled system, it used to
crash because gluster used MD5 checksum in various places like self-heal
and geo-rep. This has been fixed by replacing MD5 with SHA256 which is
FIPS compliant."

I'm happy to update the above text in doc/release-notes/4.0.0.md and
send it on gerrit for review.

Regards,
Ravi