[Gluster-devel] Implementing multiplexing for self heal client.

RAFI KC rkavunga at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 13:00:13 UTC 2018

Hi All,

What is the problem?
As of now self-heal client is running as one daemon per node, this means
even if there are multiple volumes, there will only be one self-heal
daemon. So to take effect of each configuration changes in the cluster,
the self-heal has to be reconfigured. But it doesn't have ability to
dynamically reconfigure. Which means when you have lot of volumes in the
cluster, every management operation that involves configurations changes
like volume start/stop, add/remove brick etc will result in self-heal
daemon restart. If such operation is executed more often, it is not only
slow down self-heal for a volume, but also increases the slef-heal logs
substantially.

How to fix it?

We are planning to follow a similar procedure as attach/detach graphs
dynamically which is similar to brick multiplex. The detailed steps is
as below,

1) First step is to make shd per volume daemon, to generate/reconfigure
volfiles per volume basis .

   1.1) This will help to attach the volfiles easily to existing shd daemon

   1.2) This will help to send notification to shd daemon as each
volinfo keeps the daemon object

   1.3) reconfiguring a particular subvolume is easier as we can check
the topology better

   1.4) With this change the volfiles will be moved to workdir/vols/
directory.

2) Writing new rpc requests like attach/detach_client_graph function to
support clients attach/detach

   2.1) Also functions like graph reconfigure, mgmt_getspec_cbk has to
be modified

3) Safely detaching a subvolume when there are pending frames to unwind.

   3.1) We can mark the client disconnected and make all the frames to
unwind with ENOTCONN

   3.2) We can wait all the i/o to unwind until the new updated subvol
attaches

4) Handle scenarios like glusterd restart, node reboot, etc

At the moment we are not planning to limit the number of heal subvolmes
per process as, because with the current approach also for every volume
heal was doing from a single process. We have not heared any major
complains on this?

Regards

Rafi KC