[Gluster-devel] Problems about acl_get_file used in posix_pacl_get

Kinglong Mee kinglongmee at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:11:12 UTC 2018

Hi Niels,

On 2018/8/17 18:14, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 05:22:17PM +0800, Kinglong Mee wrote:
>> Hi Niels,

>>> There should not be a problem for libacl to use syscalls directly. The
>>> Gluster sources use sys_<syscall> so that there can be wrappers for the
>>> differences between OS's. In the end, these sys_<syscall> functions will
>>> mostly call the <syscall> with (adapted) arguments.
>>>
>>> I do not know what problem you are facing, but I can imagine that there
>>> is a 'getxattr' symbol in the executable image that gets called by
>>> libacl, instead of the 'getxattr' syscall. This will likely result in
>>> very strange behaviour, if not segfaults.
>>
>> Sorry for my unclear description.
>> The real problem here is libacl gets/sets xattrs by getxattr/setxattr which follow symbolic links,
>> but, posix xlator get/set xattrs by sys_l*xattr which do not follow symbolic links.
>
> Permission checking is done by the kernel. I do not think setting ACLs
> on a symlink makes much sense. More liberal permissions on the symlink
> will not help with accessing the contents, and restricting permissions
> on a symlink still give the user to access the contents through its real
> filename.
>
> Is there a reason that having ACLs on a symlink can have benefits?

Sorry, i don't know.

Md-cache supports caching GF_POSIX_ACL_ACCESS/GF_POSIX_ACL_DEFAULT right now,
but posix_xattr_fill (call _posix_xattr_get_set) does not fill those two xattrs.

After I adds the posix_pacl_get to _posix_xattr_get_set,
there are some problems for symlink files.
So that, I find the different between acl_get_file and sys_llistxattr/sys_lgetxattr.

thanks,
Kinglong Mee