[Gluster-devel] optimizing gluster fuse

riya khanna riyakhanna1983 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 04:32:58 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 10:42 PM, Raghavendra Gowdappa <rgowdapp at redhat.com>
wrote:

> +Manoj.
>
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 10:18 PM, riya khanna <riyakhanna1983 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm trying to use the new framework to speed up lookups/attr/xattr
>> operations by split functionality between fast/slow execution paths. I'd
>> highly appreciate if you could suggest experiments to evaluate the
>> performance improvement.
>>

> As you've pointed out already, this is a good place for read caches (both
> data and metadata). While there is an overlap between things cached by
> kernel and things cached by glusterfs, there are somethings which are
> cached only by glusterfs but not by VFS/kernel. I think this is the area we
> can explore to move these caches into kernel. Things I can think of:

Even if things are cached by VFS (e.g., dir entries, attributes, etc.). The
size of VFS dcache is limited and can affect performance when under
pressure. Have you ever experienced such as case? Nevertheless, with the
new framework can help create your own dir/attr cache managed by the
user-space daemon - lets call it self-managed dcache.

> * xattr caching - done by md-cache in glusterfs. I am not sure whether VFS
> caches xattrs. If not, this can yield good returns for workloads involving
> xattrs (like POSIX acls etc).

Thanks! Similar to attr, xattr caching should be doable as well. I can
start by looking at the existing implementation in md-cache.

> * GET kind of interface for small files - done by quick-read in glusterfs.
> Note that we fetch the file in lookup. If we couple this with pushing
> open-behind in kernel, we can prevent open/readv/flush/release to glusterfs
> completely in suitable workloads (We had earlier found that this boosts
> performance for webserver usecases). I think in lookup response, we
> would've to populate page cache. Also lookup response signature doesn't
> provide for holding this data. Not sure whether this can be done.

This one is tricky. There are some limitations imposed by the framework.
Let me think about it.

> * Dirent prefetching for directories - done by readdir-ahead.

The user space daemon in readdir() can populate the self-managed dcache.
Future lookups can be served from this cache entirely within the kernel.
What kind of workload can benefit from this?

> * As you've already pointed out, we can improve on our invalidation
> strategies.
> * since page cache is already present in VFS, I don't think
> read-ahead/io-cache might have any benefits.

The framework can also bypass fuse user space daemon during data I/O (e.g.,
read, write) if the file is locally stored by the lower file system. This
design is called pass-though I/O and has been discussed numerous times on
fuse-dlevel mailing list. Recent discussion:
https://lwn.net/Articles/674286/
Does this apply to glusterfs as well, perhaps when a file is cached by the
client locally?