[Gluster-devel] Proposal to make Design Spec and Document for a feature mandatory.

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 05:10:54 UTC 2018

Hi all,

A better documentation about the feature, and also information about how to
use the features are one of the major ask of the community when they want
to use glusterfs, or want to contribute by helping get the features, bug
fixes for features, etc.

Finally, we have taken some baby steps to get that ask of having better
design and documentation resolved. We had discussed this in our automation
goals [1], to make having design spec, and documentation mandatory for a
feature patch. Now, thanks to Shyam and Nigel, we have the patch ready to
automate this process [2].

Feel free to review the patch, and comment on this.

A heads up on how it looks like after this patch gets in.

* A patch for a github reference won't pass smoke unless these labels are
present on github issue.
* Everyone, feel free to review and comment on the issue / patch regarding
the document. But, the label is expected to be provided only by Project's
general architects, and any industry experts we as community nominate for
validating feature. Initially for making sure we have a valid process,
where I don't provides flags quickly, expectation is to have two people
comment about approving the flags, and then the label can be provided.
* Some may argue, the rate of development can reduce if we make this flag
mandatory, but what is the use of having a feature without design and
documentation on how to use it?

For those who want to provide Spec and Doc approved flags, you can have a
quick link [3], to see all the tests which fail smoke. Not all smoke
failures would be for missing Spec and Doc flag, but this is just a quick
start.

[1] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AFkZmRRDXRxs21GnGauieIyiIiRZ-
nTEW8CPi7Gbp3g/edit
[2] - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs-patch-acceptance-tests/pull/126
[3] -
https://review.gluster.org/#/dashboard/?foreach=status:open%20project:glusterfs%20branch:master%20&title=Github%2520Validation&&Awaiting%2520Reviews=(label:Smoke=-1)

We would like to implement this check soon, and happy to accommodate the
feedback and suggestions along the way.

Regards,
Amar