[Gluster-devel] Build on FreeBSD and gcc version

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 10:39:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

so I have been trying to make the internal freebsd builder usable, sinc
eit was freshly installed and not building anything.

Over the course of the day, I found a few missing deps, found a ton of
warnings (I started to fix the easy one, not sure what to do for the
more complicated one around gf_log formating), but yesterday, I
stumbled on a more puzzling issue:

 CCLD     glusterfsd
../../contrib/argp-standalone/libargp.a(argp-help.o): In function
`_help':
/tmp/glusterfs/contrib/argp-standalone/argp-help.c:1608: undefined
reference to `argp_fmtstream_set_wmargin'
/tmp/glusterfs/contrib/argp-standalone/argp-help.c:1622: undefined
reference to `argp_fmtstream_set_lmargin'

I also see message like this:
libtool: warning: relinking 'libgfapi.la'
*** Warning: Linking the shared library libgfapi.la against the
*** static library ../../contrib/argp-standalone/libargp.a is not
portable!

After looking at the old builder, I found a few differences:
- old one is FreeBSD 10.1, new one is 10.3
- old one is using gcc 4.8, new one was on clang.

So I did install gcc, turn out that this was the version 5 by default
on FreeBSD and it still do not work with it.

Then I forced gcc4.8 and now it build fine.
Even better, once I forced the version, it also build (but I suspect
that's just some bad cleanup on my side, more tests are needed)

Any reason on why this would fail on gcc 5, and not 4.8, and what we
should do for that ?

I also found that what fail is to build only in Jenkins, most likely
due to the setup where we build with a out of source tree directory for
binary. It work fine if doing ./configure ; make ; make install

--
Michael Scherer