[Gluster-devel] Release 3.13: (STM release) Details

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Tue Oct 31 10:51:54 UTC 2017

On 09/11/2017 10:21 AM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The next community release of Gluster is 3.13, which is a short term
> maintenance release is slated for release on 30th Nov [1] [2]. Thus
> giving a 2 month head room to get to 4.0 work done, while maintaining
> the cadence of releasing every 3 months.
>
> This mail is to announce the scope, schedule and request contributors
> for the features that will make it to 3.13.
>
> 1) Scope:
> 3.13 is expected to be *lean* in scope, as most work is expected to be
> around 4.0 in the coming months. This STM can be considered as a sneak
> peek for some 4.0 features, that will *not* break any compatibility in
> the 3.x release line.
>
> 2) The release calendar looks as follows,
> - Feature proposal end date: Sep-22-2017
> - Branching: Oct-16-2017

3.13 was not branched on time, primarily due to lack of attention from
my side.

I am planning on branching the release tomorrow (1st Nov 2017 @ 11:00 PM
UTC) and as such have the following features in master that will be a
part of this release, and need some information from the respective
feature owners.

1) Initial versions of GFProxy, possibly tech preview (issue #242)
   - Announced in the summit, so I made some changes to the issue in github
   - @poornimag are all things tech preview related already in the code?

2) Data corruption in write ordering of rebalance and application writes
(issue #308)
   - @raghavendrahg will this be ready in time before the branching?

<items from here are either ready or done and there are no further
details needed at present>

3) Include details about memory pools in statedumps (issue #307)

4) posix: provide an option to reserve backend storage space (issue #236)

5) Have max-port range in glusterd.vol (issue #305)

6) snpashots issues with other processes accessing the mounted brick
snapshots (issue #276)

7) List all the connected clients for brick and also exported bricks /
snaps from each brick process (issue #178)

8) gfapi: APIs needed to register cbk functions for upcalls (issue #315)

9) gfapi: new macros GLFS_XALLOC/GLFS_FREE adds a glfs_mem_header for
exported memory (issue #312)

10) Compilation warnings with gcc 7.x (issue #259) (partially fixed for
3.13)