[Gluster-devel] RFC: FUSE kernel features to be adopted by GlusterFS

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 12:33:47 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 01:04:48AM +0100, Csaba Henk wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> here is an overview of recent additions to the
> FUSE protocol that are not yet supported by
> the GlusterFS FUSE implementation and
> what sh/could be done about them.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VGxMC7Db7Rdd19VXlBe0tI-frdjICJdzxx4EsntuPDU/edit
>
> Comments on the doc or in this thread are most
> warmly welcome.

I would really love to see us use libfuse (not a forked or bundled
version) with libgfapi. That should make it easier for us to follow
upstream enhancements. A proof of concept was once written by Olegsandr
Natalenko and is available at https://github.com/gluster/xglfs

Maintaining three access xlators/protocols (FUSE, gNFS, gfapi) adds a
lot of overhead. Having a single one (gfapi) with additional projects
for the other 'bindings' to protocols would be much better to maintain.

There was a bug or issue for this somewhere... I'm not able to find it
though.

Niels