[Gluster-devel] Volgen support for loading trace and io-stats translators at specific points in the graph

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Tue May 30 13:12:01 UTC 2017

On 05/30/2017 05:28 AM, Krutika Dhananjay wrote:
> You're right. With brick graphs, this will be a problem.
>
> Couple of options:
>
> 1. To begin with we identify points where we think it would be useful to
> load io-stats in the brick graph and unconditionally have
> glusterd-volgen load them in the volfile only at these places (not very
> useful if we want to load trace xl though. Plus, this again makes
> io-stats placement static).

I think this is needed (easier to get in), so +1 for this.

Additionally, if this is chosen, we may need specific triggers for each
instance, to target measuring the io-stats. IOW, generic io-stats can
measure below FUSE (as an example) and below server-protocol. Then, we
may want to enable io-threads (assuming this is one instance on the
brick that is a static placement), or POSIX (or both/all) specifically,
than have them enabled by default when io-stats is turned on (which is
the current behaviour).

Does this make sense?

> 2. Embed the trace/io-stats functionality within xlator_t object itself,
> and keep the accounting disabled by default. Only when required, the
> user can perhaps enable the accounting options with volume-set or
> through volume-profile start command for the brief period where they
> want to capture the stats and disable it as soon as they're done.

This is a better longer term solution IMO. This way there is no further
injection of io-stats xltor, and we get a lot more control on this better.

Depending on time to completion, I would choose 1/2 as presented above.
This is because, I see a lot of value in this and in answering user
queries on what is slowing down their systems, so sooner we have this
the better (say 3.12), if (2) is possible by then, more power to it.