[Gluster-devel] Release 3.12 and 4.0: Thoughts on scope

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Tue May 16 00:46:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

Let's start a bit early on 3.12 and 4.0 roadmap items, as there have
been quite a few discussions around this in various meetups.

Here is what we are hearing (or have heard), so if you are working on
any of these items, do put up your github issue, and let us know which
release you are targeting these for.

If you are working on something that is not represented here, shout out,
and we can get that added to the list of items in the upcoming releases.

Once we have a good collection slotted into the respective releases (on
github), we can further announce the same in the users list as well.

3.12:
1. Geo-replication to cloud (ie, s3 or glacier like storage target)
2. Basic level of throttling support on server side to manage the
self-heal processes running.
3. Brick Multiplexing (Better support, more control)
4. GFID to path improvements
5. Resolve issues around disconnects and ping-timeouts
6. Halo with hybrid mode was supposed to be with 3.12
7. Procedures and code for +1 scaling the cluster?
8. Lookup-optimized turned on by default.
9. Thin client (or server side clustering) - phase 1.

4.0: (more thematic than actual features at the moment)
1. Separation of Management and Filesystem layers (aka GlusterD2 related
efforts)
2. Scaling Distribution logic
3. Better consistency with rename() and link() operations
4. Thin client || Clustering Logic on server side - Phase 2
5. Quota: re-look at optimal support
6. Improvements in debug-ability and more focus on testing coverage
based on use-cases.

Components moving out of support in possibly 4.0
- Stripe translator
- AFR with just 2 subvolume (either use Arbiter or 3 way replicate)
- Re-validate few performance translator's presence.

Thanks,
Shyam