[Gluster-devel] Questions on github

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue May 9 15:20:32 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 08:21:54PM +0530, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
> sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri
> > <pkarampu at redhat.com> wrote:

> > valid
> > said,

> > > yeah, this is something users have started doing. It seems better than
> > mail
> > > (at least to me).
> > >

> > There is a trend of projects who are moving to Github Issues as a
> > medium/platform for responding to queries. As Amar mentions earlier in
> > the thread and Shyam implies - this requires constant (ie. daily)
> > vigil and attention. If those are in place, it is a practical move.
> >

> People who respond on gluster-users do this already. Github issues is a
> better tool to do this (Again IMHO). It is a bit easier to know what
> questions are still open to be answered with github. Even after multiple
> so one has to go through the responses. Where as on github we can close it
> once answered. So these kinds of things are the reason for asking this.
>
> Shyam,
>       I started being more active on github because of the user questions.
> So may be different people take different paths to be more active on
> github.com/gluster. Some people may not be as active on github even after
> we wait for a long time just like in gluster-users so may be we should
> start using it for questions sooner? Thoughts? It will only encourage more
> developers to be active on github.

A but related to this, but is Stack Overflow not *the* place to ask and
answer questions? There even is a "glusterfs" tag, and questions and
answers can be marked even better than with GitHub (imho):

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/glusterfs

From a quick look, users are asking more questions there than in the
gluster/glusterfs repository. For users it should not need to matter
what repository contains the sources (glusterfs, glusterfs-coreutils,
heketi, gluster-block, ...), which is something they need to understand
for GitHub Issues (or get ignored or ping-ponged around?).

Thanks,
Niels