[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Maintainers 2.0 Proposal

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Sat Mar 25 21:50:14 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Raghavendra Gowdappa <rgowdapp at redhat.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Agreed. There is a need to define the responsibilities of various roles -
architects, project maintainers,  project and community leads. We have used
some of these terms interchangeably in the past. Will add more details on
these roles and provide more clarity.

> > > On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:24 AM, Michael Scherer < mscherer at redhat.com
> >
> > > wrote:

> questions
> > >
> > > Theses point seems to have been overlooked (as no one answered), yet I
> > > think they do matter if we want to expand the community besides coders.
> > >
> > > And since one of the goal is to "Welcome more contibutors(sic) at a
> > > project impacting level", I think we should be also speaking of
> > > contributions besides code (ie, website, for example, documentation for
> > > another).
> > >
> > > While on it, I would like to see some points about:
> > >
> > > - ensure that someone is responsible for having the design discussion
> in
> > > the open
> > > - ensure that each feature get proper testing when committed, and the
> > > maintainers is responsible for making sure this happen
> > > - ensure that each feature get documented when committed.
> > >
> > > If we think of contribution as a pipeline (kinda like the sales
> funnel),
> > > making sure there is documentation also mean people can use the
> > > software, thus increasing the community, and so helping to recruit
> > > people in a contributor pipeline.
> > >
> > > Proper testing means that it make refactoring easier, thus easing
> > > contributions (ie, people can submit patches and see nothing break,
> even
> > > for new features), thus also making people likely more at ease to
> submit
> > > patches later.
> > >
> > > And making sure the design discussion occurs in the open is also more
> > > welcoming to contributors, since they can see how we discuss, and learn
> > > from it.

Agree to all of these. The current guidelines for maintainers / owners
lists most of these points as core responsibilities [1].

Thanks,
Vijay

 [1]
https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Contributors-Guide/Guidelines-For-Maintainers/