[Gluster-devel] Untriaged FB-Forwardport bugs

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Mar 8 10:31:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 06:00:56PM -0500, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vijay,
> >
> > It seems that there are 50+ new bugs reported with the 'private bug'
> > feature 'development whiteboard' set to FB-Forwardport. All of these
> > bugs are filed against the 'core' component, which is clearly wrong for
> > many of them. This causes quite a lot of work for the maintainers of teh
> > core component that should be triaging these bugs. Many have fallen
> > through and showed up on todays Bug Triaege meeting.
> >
> > We have decided not to triage the bugs during the meeting, and hope that
> > the people working on these changes will triage the bugs themselves
> > ASAP. Please follow the usual triaging procedures (and by extension the
> > reporting guidelines) for the bugs listed below.
> >
> >   https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Contributors-Guide/Bug-Triage/
> >   https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Contributors-
> > Guide/Bug-Reporting-Guidelines/
> >

> Niels and others: My intent has been not to create additional work for any
> of you. I am trying to expedite outstanding patches from Facebook as it is
> one of our core focus areas for 3.11.  There is a significant backlog of
> patches that need to be pulled in to master and I am automating as much as
> possible to clear the backlog. Owing to automation there could be some more
> rough edges than creating bugs manually. I appreciate any help you can
> provide in overcoming the rough edges & in taking this activity to
> completion.

Thanks, it helps to know where the scripts are that you used to automate
this. Without the scripts it is difficult to send modifications. So,
this is what I would like to suggest:

- Many of the components in Bugzilla can easily be taken from the commit
  message or list of modified files.
- If you post a patch, the status of the bugs should be moved to POST
- set an assignee (you or the author of the patch)
- If it is triaged already, add the Triaged keyword.

In addition to that, the commit messages need some cleaning. Many
mention that it is a port to 3.8, which is obviously incorrect for
patches to the master branch. There are also some keywords in the commit
messages that mention initials of Facebook employees, but without their
full name that becomes of little use, it is not a Reviewed-by line.

> I did spend a few minutes today to clean up the bugzilla reports. If you
> would like to see further improvements in the reports, please let me know.
> To get more karma from me, please go ahead and improve such bug reports on
> your own :-).

Nice, I dont see any of those bugs needing triaging anymore. Much
appreciated!

Niels