[Gluster-devel] Pluggable interface for erasure coding?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Mar 2 06:58:46 UTC 2017

Hi guys,

I think this is a topic/question that has come up before, but I can not
find any references or feature requests related to it. Because there are
different libraries for Erasure Coding, it would be interesting to be
able to select alternatives to the bundled implementation that Gluster
has. Are there any plans to make the current Erasure Coding
implementation more pluggable? Would this be a possible feature request,
or would it require a major rewrite of the current interface?

Here at FAST [0] I have briefly spoken to Per Simonsen from MemoScale
[1]. This company offers a (proprietary) library for Erasure Coding,
optimized for different architectures, and  with some unique(?) features
for recovering a failed fragment/disk. If Gluster allows alternative
implementations for the encoding, it would help organisations and
researchers to get results of their work in a distributed filesystem.
And with that, spread the word about how easy to adapt and extend
Gluster is :-)

Thanks,
Niels

0. https://www.usenix.org/conference/fast17