[Gluster-devel] Back porting guidelines: Change-ID consistency across branches

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 1 19:49:22 UTC 2017

> So, here is what is proposed to help adhere to the back porting guidelines,
> - We will run an Jenkins job for patches posted against non-master
> branches, that validates if the change-ID in the commit is present in
> master,
>    - if yes, then it adds a comment on the commit appropriately
>    - if no, then it adds a comment stating this maybe incorrect

It seems like there are multiple kinds of automation we could apply
here.  For example, if a backport commit contains a link to the Gerrit
page for the original patch on master, then a script could use that to
propagate the change ID before the patch is ever pushed.  Taking that
two steps further, we can get from the BZ# of a cloned bug to the BZ# of
the original, and from there to the Gerrit page.  The workflow could
look like this:

   Clone the bug
   gluster-backport $cloned_bug_id
   # script finds the cloned BZ
   # script finds the original BZ
   # script finds the original Gerrit page
   # script cherry-picks the original commit
   # script amends HEAD to have the right change ID

It doesn't hurt to have a check after the fact as well, but if we need
to develop the URL-fetching and page-parsing code to enforce a rule then
we should use the same code to make following the rule easier as well.