[Gluster-devel] [Questions] why shard feature doesn't support quota

Xie Changlong xiechanglong.d at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 08:17:06 UTC 2017

Hi Krutika

Thanks for your quick response!

在 6/29/2017 3:24 PM, Krutika Dhananjay 写道:
> This is based on my high-level understanding of quota in gluster -
> supporting quota on sharded volumes will require us to make quota xlator
> account for shards residing under the hidden ".shard" directory per file
> and adding this to the quota-xattr representing aggregated consumed size
> on the parent directory of the original file.
>
> This isn't hard to do. But at the moment we support sharding only for VM
> image store use case.

Why sharding only support VM large images? It's interesting. More, are
there other limits for sharding usage? We want to reduce data
reconstruction time with sharding, as you know it takes too long time to
recover data with raid, and sharding is a good choice to us.

> There are plans to make shard useful for more generic use cases in the
> near term. When we get there, we will support quota too on sharded files.

That's a *good* news. BTW we also have a plan to implement this part.
Any suggestions?

--
Thanks
     -Xie