[Gluster-devel] Performance experiments with io-stats translator

Manoj Pillai mpillai at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 19:17:57 UTC 2017

So comparing the key latency, ∆ (2,3), in the two cases:

iodepth=1: 171 us
iodepth=8: 1453 us (in the ballpark of 171*8=1368). That's not good! (I
wonder if that relation roughly holds up for other values of iodepth).

This data doesn't conclusively establish that the problem is in gluster.
You'd see similar results if the network were saturated, like Vijay
suggested. But from what I remember of this test, the throughput here is
far too low for that to be the case.

-- Manoj

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Krutika Dhananjay <kdhananj at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Indeed the latency on the client side dropped with iodepth=1. :)
> I ran the test twice and the results were consistent.
>
> Here are the exact numbers:
>
> *Translator Position*                       *Avg Latency of READ fop as
> seen by this translator*
>
> 1. parent of client-io-threads                437us
>
> ∆ (1,2) = 69us
>
> 2. parent of protocol/client-0                368us
>
> ∆ (2,3) = 171us
>
> ----------------- end of client stack ---------------------
> ----------------- beginning of brick stack --------------
>
> 3. child of protocol/server                   197us
>
> ∆ (3,4) = 4us
>
> 4. parent of io-threads                        193us
>
> ∆ (4,5) = 32us
>
> 5. child-of-io-threads                          161us
>
> ∆ (5,6) = 11us
>
> 6. parent of storage/posix                   150us
> ---------------- end of brick stack ------------------------
>
> Will continue reading code and get back when I find sth concrete.
>
> -Krutika
>

> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Manoj Pillai <mpillai at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks. So I was suggesting a repeat of the test but this time with
>> iodepth=1 in the fio job. If reducing the no. of concurrent requests
>>  reduces drastically the high latency you're seeing from the client-side,
>> that would strengthen the hypothesis than serialization/contention among
>> concurrent requests at the n/w layers is the root cause here.
>>
>> -- Manoj
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Krutika Dhananjay <kdhananj at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,