[Gluster-devel] [Qusetions] How profile affect glusterfs performance?

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 17:26:52 UTC 2017

On 06/07/2017 02:41 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

Hi Yuan,

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 1:14 PM, liuyuan at cmss.chinamobile.com
> <mailto:liuyuan at cmss.chinamobile.com> <liuyuan at cmss.chinamobile.com
> <mailto:liuyuan at cmss.chinamobile.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Pranith,
>
>     First of all, we owe you guys big thanks for your excellent work.
>
>     I'm the lead of storage team in China Mobile, Xiubo is also in my
>     team :)
>

> Ah! nice :-).
>

>     We have deployed more than 100 glusterfs nodes in producion(20 nodes
>     for the biggest single cluster), so far so good.  Use case ranging
>     from image/vedio, to small files for mailbox services.
>     For profile stuff, we'd like to enable it as always to collect perf
>     stat for monitoring.

Thank you for your feedback and details about deployment. It is always
fascinating for us to learn about production usage of gluster :-).

>     Also, I have a question for NDMP support. I bumpped one thread
>     discussing it but not clear yet.
>     (http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-August/050513.html
>     <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-August/050513.html>)
>
>     Do you have any plan to for a glusterfs-ndmp server from scratch? We
>     are new to the development of glusterfs, I think ndmp support would
>     be a good starting point for us to join the
>     development  of the community.  We'd like to see NDMP supported by
>     glusterfs because some of our customers want it.
>

> I don't know enough about this. Vijay has idea about this, so will
> respond later.

We have had some thoughts about implementing a native ndmp server but
have not had a chance to implement that. If you have an idea or design
in mind for glusterfs-ndmp server, please share that here. Happy to
provide any assistance needed for implementing this feature.

Cheers,
Vijay