[Gluster-devel] Gluster API out of Unix environment

XoD xoddark at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 14:38:08 UTC 2017

Hello, in my company we are looking for a most efficient solution to
distribute a lot of small files, for a lot of clients.

We are considering using Glusterfs for this (Or Ceph) as our server
infrastructure.
On the client side we want to access data as object directly from the
application.
Our applications will not run in an Unix environment (Windows among others).
But unfortunately the Gluster API (Or Ceph API) depends on Unix
technologies and headers.

So to summarize our needs for the API are :
- put new files on a volume
- read files on the volume
- remove files on the volume
We do not need to update any files after the first write.

For the moment, here is our current investigation status:
We have tried to build the api (libglusterfs) in a Msys/Mingw environment,
but all dependencies are not available.
We are considering to modify libglusterfs to replace Unix dependencies, but
it's seems a lot of work.
We are considering to reimplement the client library, but I haven't found
documentation about the communication protocol of libglusterfs api.
We are also considering to create a new (simpler) API, possibly based on
http, but we need to know how implement the server part.

Without any knowledge of the internal Gluster’s functionality it's not
easy, and I haven't found any documentation about it.

So here are my questions:
Does anybody have advices/warnings about how we can achieve any of the
afore mentioned ports ?
Or know any open source library project to access to Gluster files/objects
from (at least) a Windows application.

Thank you