[Gluster-devel] geo-rep regression because of node-uuid change

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Tue Jul 4 08:56:26 UTC 2017

Hi Pranith,

On 03/07/17 08:33, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> Xavi,
>       Now that the change has been reverted, we can resume this
> discussion and decide on the exact format that considers, tier, dht,
> afr, ec. People working geo-rep/dht/afr/ec had an internal discussion
> and we all agreed that this proposal would be a good way forward. I
> think once we agree on the format and decide on the initial
> encoding/decoding functions of the xattr and this change is merged, we
> can send patches on afr/ec/dht and geo-rep to take it to closure.
>
> Could you propose the new format you have in mind that considers all of
> the xlators?

My idea was to create a new xattr not bound to any particular function
but which could give enough information to be used in many places.

Currently we have another attribute called glusterfs.pathinfo that
returns hierarchical information about the location of a file. Maybe we
can extend this to unify all these attributes into a single feature that
could be used for multiple purposes.

Since we have time to discuss it, I would like to design it with more
information than we already talked.

First of all, the amount of information that this attribute can contain
is quite big if we expect to have volumes with thousands of bricks. Even
in the most simple case of returning only an UUID, we can easily go
beyond the limit of 64KB.

Consider also, for example, what shard should return when pathinfo is
requested for a file. Probably it should return a list of shards, each
one with all its associated pathinfo. We are talking about big amounts
of data here.

I think this kind of information doesn't fit very well in an extended
attribute. Another think to consider is that most probably the requester
of the data only needs a fragment of it, so we are generating big
amounts of data only to be parsed and reduced later, dismissing most of it.

What do you think about using a very special virtual file to manage all
this information ? it could be easily read using normal read fops, so it
could manage big amounts of data easily. Also, accessing only to some
parts of the file we could go directly where we want, avoiding the read
of all remaining data.

A very basic idea could be this:

Each xlator would have a reserved area of the file. We can reserve up to
4GB per xlator (32 bits). The remaining 32 bits of the offset would
indicate the xlator we want to access.

At offset 0 we have generic information about the volume. One of the the
things that this information should include is a basic hierarchy of the
whole volume and the offset for each xlator.

After reading this, the user will seek to the desired offset and read
the information related to the xlator it is interested in.

All the information should be stored in a format easily extensible that
will be kept compatible even if new information is added in the future
(for example doing special mappings of the 32 bits offsets reserved for
the xlator).

For example we can reserve the first megabyte of the xlator area to have
a mapping of attributes with its respective offset.

I think that using a binary format would simplify all this a lot.

Do you think this is a way to explore or should I stop wasting time here ?

Xavi