[Gluster-devel] gluster source code help

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 12:17:42 UTC 2017

On 02/02/2017 10:46 AM, jayakrishnan mm wrote:
> Hi
>
> How  do I determine, which part of the  code is run on the client, and
> which part of the code is run on the server nodes by merely looking at
> the the glusterfs  source code ?
> I knew  there are client side  and server side translators which will
> run on respective platforms. I am looking at part of self heal daemon
> source  (ec/afr) which will run on the server nodes  and  the part
> which run on the clients.

The self-heal daemon that runs on the server is also a client process in
the sense that it has client side xlators like ec or afr and
protocol/client (see the shd volfile 'glustershd-server.vol') loaded and
talks to the bricks like a normal client does.
The difference is that only self-heal related 'logic' get executed on
the shd while both self-heal and I/O related logic get executed from the
mount. The self-heal logic resides mostly in afr-self-heal*.[ch] while
I/O related logic is there in the other files.
HTH,
Ravi