[Gluster-devel] Release 3.12: Glusto run status

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 13:31:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 4:13 AM, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Nigel, Shwetha,
>
> The latest Glusto run [a] that was started by Nigel, post fixing the prior
> timeout issue, failed (much later though) again.
>
> I took a look at the logs and my analysis is here [b]
>
> @atin, @kaushal, @ppai can you take a look and see if the analysis is
> correct?

I took a look at the logs and here is my theory:

glusterd starts the rebalance daemon through runner framework with nowait
mode which essentially means that even though glusterd reports back a
success back to CLI for rebalance start, one of the node might take some
more additional time to start the rebalance process and establish rpc
connection. In this case we hit a race where while one of the node was
still trying to start the rebalance process a rebalance status command was
triggered which eventually failed on the node as rpc connection wasn't
successful and originator glusterd's commit op failed with  ""Received
commit RJT from uuid: 6f9524e6-9f9e-44aa-b2f4-393404adfd9d" failure.
Technically to avoid all these spurious time out issues we try to check the
status in a loop till a certain timeout. Isn't that the case in glusto? If
my analysis is correct, you shouldn't be seeing this failure on the 2nd
attempt as its a race.