[Gluster-devel] Glusterd2 - Some anticipated changes to glusterfs source
ppai at redhat.com
Wed Aug 2 11:33:35 UTC 2017
The ongoing work on glusterd2 necessitates following non-breaking and
non-exhaustive list of changes to glusterfs source code:
- Remove hard-coding of glusterd's port as 24007 in clients and elsewhere.
Glusterd2 can be configured to listen to clients on any port (still
- Let the bricks and daemons choose any available port and if needed report
the port used to glusterd during the "sign in" process. Prasanna has a
to do this.
- Glusterd <--> brick (or any other local daemon) communication should
always happen over Unix Domain Socket. Currently glusterd and brick
process communicates over UDS and also port 24007. This will allow us
to set better authentication and rules for port 24007 as it shall only be
Changes to xlator options
- Xlator authors do not have to modify glusterd2 code to expose new xlator
options. IOW, glusterd2 will not contain the "glusterd_volopt_map" table.
Most of its fields will be moved to the xlator itself. Glusterd2 can load
xlator's shared object and read it's volume_options table. This also means
xlators have to adhere to some naming conventions for options.
- Add following additional fields (names are indicative) to volume_option_t:
- Tag: This is to enable users to list only options having a certain
IOW, it allows us to filter "volume set help" like output.
Example of tags: debug, perf, network etc.
- Opversion: The minimum (or a range) op-version required by the xlator.
- Configurable: A bool to indicate whether this option is
This may also be clubbed with DOC/NO_DOC
- Xlators like AFR, changelog require non-static information such as brick
to be present in it's options in the volfile. Currently, xlator authors
to modify glusterd code to get it.
This can rather be indicated by the xlator itself using
For example, "changelog-dir" can be set in xlator's option as as
<<brick-path>>/.glusterfs/changelogs and then glusterd2 will ensure to
<<brick-path>> with actual path during volfile generation.
We'd like to hear your thoughts, suggestions and comments to these proposed
- Glusterd2 team
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gluster-devel