[Gluster-devel] Priority based ping packet for 3.10

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Fri Apr 21 06:13:58 UTC 2017

Summing up various discussions I had on this,

1. Current ping frame work should measure just the responsiveness of
network and rpc layer. This means poller threads shouldn't be winding the
individual fops at all (as it might add delay in reading the ping
requests). Instead, they can queue the requests to a common work queue and
other threads should pick up the requests.
2. We also need another tool to measure the responsiveness of the entire
Brick xlator stack. This tool can have a slightly larger time than ping
timeout as responses naturally will be delayed. Whether this tool should
measure the responsiveness of the backend fs is an open question as we
already have a posix health checker that measures the responsiveness and
sends a CHILD_DOWN when backend fs in not responsive. Also, there are open
questions here like what data structures various xlators are accessing as
part of this fop (like inode, fd, mem-pools etc). Accessing various data
structures will result in a different latency.
3. Currently ping packets are not sent by a client when there is no I/O
from it. As per the discussions above, client should measure the
responsiveness even when there is no traffic to/from it. May be the
interval during which ping packets are sent can be increased.
4. We've fixed some lock contention issues on the brick stack due to high
latency on backend fs. However, this is on-going work as contentions can be
found in various codepaths (mem-pool etc).

We'll shortly send a fix for 1. The other things will be picked based on
the bandwidth. Contributions are welcome :).

regards,
Raghavendra.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Joe Julian <joe at julianfamily.org> wrote:

> Yes, the earlier a fault is detected the better.
>
> On January 24, 2017 9:21:27 PM PST, Jeff Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>  If there are no responses to be received and no requests being
>>>  sent to a brick, why would be a client be interested in the health of
>>>  server/brick?
>>>

>> The client (code) might not, but the user might want to find out and fix
>> the fault before the brick gets busy again.
>>

> --

Raghavendra G