[Gluster-devel] Announcing release 3.11 : Scope, schedule and feature tracking

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 14:47:34 UTC 2017

On 02/28/2017 10:17 AM, Shyam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With release 3.10 shipped [1], it is time to set the dates for release
> 3.11 (and subsequently 4.0).
>
> This mail has the following sections, so please read or revisit as needed,
>   - Release 3.11 dates (the schedule)
>   - 3.11 focus areas

Pinging the list on the above 2 items.

> *Release 3.11 dates:*
> Based on our release schedule [2], 3.11 would be 3 months from the 3.10
> release and would be a Short Term Maintenance (STM) release.
>
> This puts 3.11 schedule as (working from the release date backwards):
> - Release: May 30th, 2017
> - Branching: April 27th, 2017

Branching is about 2 weeks away, other than the initial set of overflow
features from 3.10 nothing else has been raised on the lists and in
github as requests for 3.11.

So, a reminder to folks who are working on features, to raise the
relevant github issue for the same, and post it to devel list for
consideration in 3.11 (also this helps tracking and ensuring we are
waiting for the right things at the time of branching).

> *3.11 focus areas:*
> As maintainers of gluster, we want to harden testing around the various
> gluster features in this release. Towards this the focus area for this
> release are,
>
> 1) Testing improvements in Gluster
>   - Primary focus would be to get automated test cases to determine
> release health, rather than repeating a manual exercise every 3 months
>   - Further, we would also attempt to focus on maturing Glusto[7] for
> this, and other needs (as much as possible)
>
> 2) Merge all (or as much as possible) Facebook patches into master, and
> hence into release 3.11
>   - Facebook has (as announced earlier [3]) started posting their
> patches mainline, and this needs some attention to make it into master

Further to the above, we are also considering the following features for
this release, request feature owners to let us know if these are
actively being worked on and if these will make the branching dates.
(calling out folks that I think are the current feature owners for the same)

1) Halo - Initial Cut (@pranith)
2) IPv6 support (@kaushal)
3) Negative lookup (@poornima)
4) Parallel Readdirp - More changes to default settings. (@poornima, @du)