[Gluster-devel] GlusterFs upstream bugzilla components Fine graining

Prasanna Kalever pkalever at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 11:34:19 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:09:34PM +0530, Prasanna Kalever wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Muthu Vigneshwaran
>> <mvignesh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > This an update to the previous mail about Fine graining of the
>> > GlusterFS upstream bugzilla components.
>> >
>> > Finally we have come out a new structure that would help in easy
>> > access of the bug for reporter and assignee too.
>> >
>> > In the new structure we have decided to remove components that are
>> > listed as below -
>> >
>> > - BDB
>> > - HDFS
>> > - booster
>> > - coreutils
>> > - gluster-hdoop
>> > - gluster-hadoop-install
>> > - libglusterfsclient
>> > - map
>> > - path-converter
>> > - protect
>> > - qemu-block
>>
>> Well, we are working on bringing qemu-block xlator to alive again.
>> This is needed in achieving qcow2 based internal snapshots for/in the
>> gluster block store.
>
> We can keep this as a subcomponent for now.

What should be the main component in this case?

>> Take a look at  http://review.gluster.org/#/c/15588/  and dependent patches.
>
> Although we can take qemu-block back, we need a plan to address the
> copied qemu sources to handle the qcow2 format. Reducing the bundled
> sources (in contrib/) is important. Do you have a feature page in the
> glusterfs-specs repository that explains the usability of qemu-block? I
> have not seen a discussion on gluster-devel about this yet either,
> otherwise I would have replied there...

Yeah, have refreshed some part of the code already (local). The
current code is way old (2013) and miss the compat 1.1 (qcow2v3)
features and many more. We are cross checking the merits in using this
in the block store. Once we are in a state to say yes/continue with
this approach, I'm glad to take initiation in refreshing the complete
source and flush out the unused bundle of code.

Well, I do not know about any qcow libraries other than [1], and don't
think we have choice of keeping this outside the repo tree?

And currently I don't have a feature page, will update after summit
time frame, also make a note to post with the complete details in
devel mailing list.

> Nobody used this before, and I wonder if we should not design and
> develop a standard file-snapshot functionality that is not dependent on
> qcow2 format.

IMO, that will take an another year or more to bring into block store use.

[1] https://github.com/libyal/libqcow

--
Prasanna