[Gluster-devel] Upcall details for NLINK

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 04:22:58 UTC 2016

Hey Soumya,

do we have a description of the different actions that we expect/advise
users of upcall to take? I'm looking at the flags that are listed in
libglusterfs/src/upcall-utils.h and api/src/glfs-handles.h and passed in
the glfs_callback_inode_arg structure from api/src/glfs-handles.h.

We have a NLINK flag, but that does not seem to carry the stat/iatt
attributes for the changed inode. It seems we send an upcall on file
removal that incudes NLINK, and just after that we send an other one
with FORGET.

This attachment in Bugzilla shows the behaviour:
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1202190

You'll need https://code.wireshark.org/review/17776 to decode the flags,
so I'll attach the tshark output to this email for your convenience.
  $ tshark -r /tmp/upcall_xid.1474190284.pcap.gz -V 'glusterfs.cbk'

Question: For the NLINK flag, should we not include the stat/iatt of the
modified inode? And only if the iatt->nlink is 0, a FORGET should get
sent? NLINK would then only happen when a (not the last) hardlink is
removed.

Thanks,
Niels