[Gluster-devel] Checklist for glusterfs packaging/build for upstream release

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 11:22:03 UTC 2016

On 09/02/2016 03:40 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> hi,
>       In the past we have had issues where some of the functionality
> didn't work on debian/ubuntu because 'glfsheal' binary was not packaged.

It was? That seems strange to me because our Debian packaging is less
"selective" than our RPM.

Less selective in that it wildcards pretty much everything that gets
installed, unlike the Fedora/RHEL/CentOS.

But perhaps I'm just not remembering this particular incident.

> What do you guys as packaging/build maintainers on different distros
> suggest that we do to make sure we catch such mistakes before the
> releases are made?

Short of a trial build of Debian packages before the release, coupled
with some kind of audit of what's in them, and compare that to what's in
the RPMs?

And for the record, I'm trying not to be the packaging maintainer for so
many different distributions.

> Please suggest them here so that we can add them at
> https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-component-release-checklist after
> the discussion is complete

And BTW, at some point we should compare our current Debian/Ubuntu
package files with Patrick's and get them back in sync again if they
have diverged.

--

Kaleb