[Gluster-devel] Checklist for QEMU integration for upstream release

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 08:47:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 12:41:31PM +0530, Prasanna Kalever wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 01:04:37AM +0530, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> >> hi Bharata,
> >>        What tests are run before the release of glusterfs so that we make
> >> sure this integration is stable? Could you add that information here so
> >> that I can update it at
> >> https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-component-release-checklist
> >
> > I normally run some qemu-img commands to create/copy/... VM-images. When
> > I have sufficient time, I start a VM based on a gluster:// URL on the
> > commandline (through libvirt XML files), similar to this:
> >   http://blog.nixpanic.net/2013/11/initial-work-on-gluster-integration.html
>
> Certainly this is good way of testing, but unfortunately this is not enough.

Yes, I only recently noticed that different image formats use different
functions in the storage drivers. I'm planning to run the whole Advocado
tests in the CentOS CI with the nightly builds.

> With the recent changes to support multivolfile server in qemu, I feel
> we need more tests w.r.t that area (ex. switching volfile servers both
> initial client select time and run-time) ?
>
> Niels,
>
> Why don't we add some testcases/scripts for this?
> I shall create a repository for this in my fee times and we keep
> adding the test cases here which will be one run per release. (Let me
> know if you are in favor of adding them in the gluster repo itself)

Yes, that would be good. Either Glusto test-cases or Advocado should do.
We probably should have some coverage in Glusto anyway, and it lends
itself better for the multi-host testing than Advocado, I guess.

> And I also feel we should be responsible with some checks with libvirt
> compatibility, as in testing with virsh commands would be super cool.

Indeed! I only test with libvirt because it is easier than writing a
QEMU command by hand ;-) Getting it included in Glusto should be our
aim. We can contribute Gluster testing to the libvirt tests too, that
makes sure the integration keeps working from both ways.

> > In case Bharata is not actively working (or interested) in QEMU and it's
> > Gluster driver, Prasanna and I should probably replace or get added in
> > the MAINTAINERS file, both of us get requests from the QEMU maintainers
> > directly.
>
> I am happy to take this responsibility.

The final responsibility lies with Jeff Cody and other QEMU maintainers,
it'll be our task to make sure new features in Gluster get exposed
through libgfapi and used by QEMU/gluster. We should also watch out for
new features added to the block-layer in QEMU, and consider extending
Gluster to provide support for them.

I'll send a patch for the MAINTAINERS file later.

Thanks,
Niels