[Gluster-devel] Changing Submit Type for glusterfs

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 03:33:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 3:33 AM, Kaushal M <kshlmster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Nigel Babu <nigelb at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Poornima Gurusiddaiah
>> <pgurusid at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Regarding the enforcement of the dependencies while merging, i see that
>>> the dependent patches on any patch is mentioned in the "Related Changes"
>>> column [1]. It still doesn't enforce, in the cherry-pick way of
>>> submitting changes, by default it ignores the lineage [2]. But there are
>>> ways to enforce this. Will let the gluster infra maintainers to comment
>>> on the same.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/user-review-ui.html#related-changes
>>> [2]
>>> https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/project-configuration.html#project_options
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Poornima
>>

>> Thank you Poornima for pointing this out. You're right, it's worth changing
>> our submission type to either "Rebase If Necessary" or "Merge If Necessary"
>> to enforce this. I'm not sure what the implications are, so I'll report back
>> after I've setup a test on staging so we can experiment and see what works.
>
> The reason cherry-pick was chosen was to keep the branch linear and
> avoid merge-commits as (I'm guessing here) this makes the tree hard to
> follow.
> Merge-if-necessary will not keep the branch linear. I'm not sure how
> rebase-if-necessary works though.
>
> Vijay, can you provide anymore background for the choice of
> cherry-pick and you opinion on the change?

Unfortunately I do not recollect the reason for cherry-pick being the
current choice. FWIW, I think dependencies were being enforced a while
back in the previous version(s) of gerrit. Not sure if something has
changed in the more recent gerrit versions.

Regards,
Vijay