[Gluster-devel] Weekly community meeting - 26-Oct-2016

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 13:54:15 UTC 2016

Hi all!

This weeks meeting was GOOOOD.

We got rid of the regular updates, and just had an open floor. This
had the intended effect of more conversations.

We discussed 3 main topics today,
- How do we recognize contributors and their contributions [manikandan]
- What's happening with memory management in GlusterFS [post-factum]
- An update on Glusto/Testing initiative [ShwethaHP]

The details about these discussion can be found in the meeting logs
and minutes linked below.

Apart from that, an important announcement for this week is the 'Test
day' for release-3.9 happening tomorrow. I expect good participation
in this test day.

Thank you everyone who attended. Let's all meet next week same place, same time.

Cheers,
Kaushal

# Meeting Logs
- Minutes: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/gluster-meeting/2016-10-26/gluster_community_weekly_meeting_26-oct-2016.2016-10-26-12.00.html
- Minutes (text):
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/gluster-meeting/2016-10-26/gluster_community_weekly_meeting_26-oct-2016.2016-10-26-12.00.txt
- Log: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/gluster-meeting/2016-10-26/gluster_community_weekly_meeting_26-oct-2016.2016-10-26-12.00.log.html

# Topics
## Host for next week
Next weeks meeting moderator: kshlm

## Open Floor

- Recognising community contributors(Manikandan Selvaganesh)
 - Are more stats (commits, bugs, mails) good?
 - Bitergia exists with this info
http://projects.bitergia.com/redhat-glusterfs-dashboard/browser/
 - [obnox] Stats are not the best for recognition
   - If it is required they should be thourough, fine-grained
 - [sankarshan] Summary of discussions till now
   - coverage of stats on bitergia is not complete or enough
   - there are well identified additional ascpects to be considered
for recognition
   - a method of recognition will be useful
 - Everyone agrees we need to find a better method for recognizing
 - This topic will be discussed again next week.

- Sending up EasyFix bugs(assigned with a owner) on mailing list so
that new contributors can get started(May be?) (Manikandan
Selvaganesh)
 - Not discussed. Carrying forward to next week.

- Memory management (memory pools, jemalloc, FUSE client leaks etc) //
post-factum
 - [post-factum] mempools hurt more than they help
 - *I missed most of the rest of the discussion. Sorry. Please refer
the logs. - kshlm*
 - obnox will try to follow up on his AI about starting discussions
around memory management solutions for Gluster+Samba

- Glusto-Tests: Libs/Tests // shwethaHP
 - https://github.com/gluster/glusto-tests
 - Almnost all of the core libraries to manage volumes and IO have been added.
 - We are now in a position to begin writing tests using Glusto.
 - A CI job should be up for Glusto tests. Needs to be confirmed with
loadtheacc and nigelb
 - ShwethaHP will continue work on adding BVT tests to the community test suite.

# Updates

## GlusterFS 4.0
- [Shyam] No progress to report on DHT2, IOW no work ongoing on this
front at the moment
- [kshlm] GD2 -
https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051274.html
- [jdarcy] Multiplexing -
https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051281.html

## GlusterFS 3.9
- Aravinda has called for a test day to help speedup verification of 3.9
 - https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051262.html
- An RC2 release is planned before test day.

## GlusterFS 3.8
- *No updates this week*

## GlusterFS 3.7
- Sent out 1 week remaining reminder
 - https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051254.html
- Still on track for 30th.
- 6 changes merged since 3.7.16
- 2 changes still on review added since last release
https://review.gluster.org/#/q/project:glusterfs+branch:release-3.7+status:open

## GlusterFS 3.6
- *No updates this week*

## Other initiatives and related projects

### Infrastructure
- *No updates this week*

### NFS Ganesha
- [jiffin] https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051282.html

### Samba
- [Anoop] Major regression was discovered with a recent change in
libgfapi(https://review.gluster.org/#/c/15332/) Following that
corresponding changes were made in VFS module for GlusterFS in
Samba(https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=c
ommit;h=06281e8f1b912540a8cc2a79497b074dbe559d53) so as to allocate
and free memory for resolved_path in glfs_realpath API properly.
 - gluster-devel ML thread:
https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051231.html
- Almost all performance improvement md-cache patches have been merged upstream.
- Samba new upstream stable versions available now for download: v4.5.1, v4.4.7

### Heketi/Containers
- [rastar] We are exploring deployment models for Gluster in
Kubernetes. Currently leaning towards DaemonSets. See here:
http://kubernetes.io/docs/admin/daemons/

### Testing/Glusto
- Updates will be provided from next week

##Last weeks AIs
- rastar_afk/ndevos/jdarcy to improve cleanup to control the processes
that test starts.
 - In progress: Looked into this a little bit. We can acheive this by
using kill by pid and child or by process group id. Will try to send a
POC patch by end of this week.
- kkeithley to discuss+document  RC tagging guidelines in release steps document
 - (Some of ) This discussion is happening in the 3.9 test day mail-thread
 - https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051264.html
- atinm to poke 3.9 release mgrs to finish and release
- kshlm or samikshan will send 3.7.17 reminder
 - Done. https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/maintainers/2016-October/001588.html
- obnox to starting discussion of Samba memory solutions
- jdarcy to discuss dbench smoke test failures on email
- kshlm to send email about go bindings to gfapi
 - Done. https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051226.html

## Other Updates
- [Shyam] gbench project progressing slowly, attempting to get HW
where we can run the tests regularly
(https://github.com/gluster/gbench ), more news to the community as we
settle around our first results from the same.
- [Shyam] Outreachy proposal ended last week, we possibly have 2
candidates selected one for each project instrumentation &
documentation. Outreachy updates in progress, so no further news to
share at the moment.
- [Shyam] Sample project in github for planning and managing Gluster
priorities and releases up, more news to the community as maintainers
settle on the workflow for the same
 - https://github.com/gluster/test/projects
 - https://github.com/gluster/test/labels
- atinm gave an update on work done in (legacy) Glusterd and TLS part of RPC
 - https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051273.html
- FOSDEM2017 Storage Devroom CFP is now open
 - https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-October/051280.html