[Gluster-devel] New commands for supporting add/remove brick and rebalance on tiered volume

Dan Lambright dlambrig at redhat.com
Sat Oct 22 17:27:21 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----

We might someday have more tiering "types" than "hot and cold". We may have an "archive" tier, for example, or time-based rather than automated, secure/unsecure, etc.

We should not assume there is only one hot/cold tier. Someday there could be multiple hot/cold tiers, as in "vol1" below. How to distinguish them? Number each tier according to the leaf's position in the graph, and calling this the "tier-id" would be sensible. Option (1) seems a closer fit to that (we would change "tier-type" to "tier-id"). I'm not sure we are ready to make the jump to "tier-id" rather than "tier-type", thats a different discussion.

Overall, I prefer option (1), it seems to more easily keep future options open.

vol1
- unsecure
--- hot T1
--- cold T2