[Gluster-devel] New style community meetings - No more status updates

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:06:16 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Our weekly community meetings have become mainly one hour of status
updates. This just drains the life out of the meeting, and doesn't
encourage new attendees to speak up.

Let's try and change this. For the next meeting lets try skipping
updates all together and instead just dive into the 'Open floor' part
of the meeting.

Let's have the updates to the regular topics be provided by the
regular owners before the meeting. This could either be through
sending out emails to the mailing lists, or updates entered into the
meeting etherpad[1]. As the host, I'll make sure to link to these
updates when the meeting begins, and in the meeting minutes. People
can view these updates later in their own time. People who need to
provide updates on AIs, just update the etherpad[1]. It will be
visible from there.

Now let's move why I addressed this mail to this large and specific
set of people. The people who have been directly addressed are the
owners of the regular topics. You all are expected, before the next
meeting, to either,
 - Send out an update on the status for the topic you are responsible
for to the mailing lists, and then link to it on the the etherpad
 - or, provide you updates directly in the etherpad.
Please make sure you do this without fail.
If you do have anything to discuss, add it to the "Open floor" section.
Also, if I've missed out anyone in the addressed list, please make
sure they get this message too.

Anyone else who wants to share their updates, add it to the 'Other
updates' section.

Everyone else, go ahead and add anything you want to ask to the "Open
floor" section. Ensure to have your name with the topic you add
(etherpad colours are not reliable), and attend the meeting next week.
When your topic comes up, you'll have the floor.

I hope that this new format helps make our meetings more colourful and lively.

As always, our community meetings will be held every Wednesday at
1200UTC in #gluster-meeting on Freenode.
See you all there.

~kaushal

[1]: https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-community-meetings