[Gluster-devel] Interested in contributing to Gluster Documentation

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 10:04:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 02:22:35PM +0530, Srravya C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am Srravya. I recently came across Gluster on the list of
> communities/organisations participating in Outreachy
> <https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/2016/DecemberMarch>. Upon going through
> the list of projects Gluster has listed for the internship, I noticed that
> one of them is a documentation project. As a new comer to Gluster, I
> believe this would be a good way for me to get started in understanding
> Gluster and make my first contributions.
>
> I would love to interact with community members including developers and
> documentation team members to know how best I can begin working on Gluster.
> It would be great if I could be pointed to any documentation bugs/tasks I
> could pick and also general docs on getting started and initial set up
> steps.
>
> Looking forward to collaborating :)
>
> Cheers,
> Srravya

Hi Srravya,

I suspect you pinged me on IRC over the last week trying to find help.
Apologies in the delay in getting back to you. We've all been at Gluster
Developer Summit and was mostly away from our computers.

I'm speaking on behalf of Amye and documentation team members here, so you can
get started right way. A good thing to try is the following:

1. Clone the documentation repo[1].
2. Try to build the documentation (Documentation for mkdocs[2]).

The initial contribution we've listed is for you to find something that needs
improvement and fix it. I would recommend taking a look around to see if you
can find something to do. The bugs we have on file aren't very useful for
initial contributions.

I have a couple of suggestions on something you can start with
1. Install aspell[3] and check for spelling mistakes across the documentation.
   Submit pull requests for fxing them.
2. Install Linkchecker[4] and run it against gluster.readthedocs.org and catch
   any links that lead to 404.

If you have questions, please free to ask on the list and we're happy to help.

[1] https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/
[2] http://www.mkdocs.org/
[3] http://aspell.net/
[4] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/LinkChecker